Matt Forte Not One to Think the Jets Will Be Tanking It in 2017

When some Jets fans suggest the team is tanking the upcoming season — or, should — to get a high draft pick next spring, veteran running back Matt Forte completely disagrees with the notion, the Associated Press reports.

“It’s a good thing we don’t operate off of what the fans think and what everybody on the outside thinks,” Forte said Wednesday before the team’s second minicamp practice. “What we think as a team, that’s what’s going to happen. And none of us on the team think that we’re going to tank.

“So all I have to say about that is: Bring it.”

The Jets are coming off a 5-11 season and parted ways with several productive and popular veterans in the offseason to cut some big salaries. Gone are the likes of Darrelle Revis, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Nick Mangold, David Harris and Nick Folk.

When asked if he thinks the Jets have a competitive roster, Forte laughed.

“What kind of question is that?” he said. “This is a professional football team. We have athletes on this team. In the league, it’s not about the team that has the most talent on the roster. It’s about the guys who have a brotherhood together. They play on the field, not next to each other, they play for each other. They make sacrifices on the field so the other guys can make plays.

“That’s the kind of culture that we’ve been creating throughout the offseason here.”

Agent for Released Jets LB David Harris Rips Team for Timing of Release

The Jets wanted longtime middle linebacker David Harris to play for less money in 2017. But after the two sides couldn’t agree on a pay cut, the Jets on Tuesday released Harris, their longest-tenured player.

Harris, a respected locker room leader, had been with the Jets since they drafted him in 2007. Considering what a valuable part of their team he’d been — plus the late timing of the release — the news of Harris’ departure was stunning.

And Harris’ agents, who obviously are biased here, released a statement to ESPN that ripped the Jets for how they handled this situation, Darryl Slater of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

Here is that statement, from Brian Mackler and Jim Ivler:

“Very disappointing in the timing of this event and the decision. The Jets could have done this prior to free agency instead of waiting three months, especially for a player who has exhibited nothing but loyalty and class for 10 years.”

Jets TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins Opens Up About Being Drinking Problem

Monday marked the 129th alcohol free day for Jets tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

In an interview with Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, the veteran tight end admitted Tuesday he sought help after the season for a drinking problem that led to a DUI arrest last September. Seferian-Jenkins said he stopped drinking Jan. 21 and attended rehab four times a week on an outpatient basis.

“Even since I stopped drinking, it’s been a transformation,” Seferian-Jenkins, 24, said. “It really has changed my life. I just try to win one day at a time. I’ve won 129 days and I’m going to continue to win however many more days. It’s been a blessing.”

The Jets took a chance on Seferian-Jenkins after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers following the arrest. An embarrassing police video surfaced in the aftermath, one showing him making crude remarks in the back of the police cruiser. In March, he received a two-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal-conduct policy.

Seferian-Jenkins said he continued to drink during the season, allowing his weight to balloon to 285 pounds — about 25 pounds about his listed playing weight. Finally, he decided to get help.

“Knowing you need help and you don’t go get it, that’s the worst thing,” he said. “I was scared to get help. I was scared and embarrassed to tell people I have a problem.”

Seferian-Jenkins said he wasn’t a daily drinker, claiming he wasn’t dependent on alcohol. During therapy, he came to the realization that he drank to cope with “dormant issues.” He declined to elaborate on those issues.

“It’s not like I was dependent on it; I was dependent on self-medicating myself so I could deal with s—,” he said. “Once I figured out what was going on, I got help. I went to the doctor and figured everything out. “I’ve been straight. It’s not like I’m f—— dying. It’s not like I craved it, wake up in the morning and I need a drink. It was just like, I’m having a tough time, I’m dealing with something, it’s 6:30 p.m. and let’s crack one back.”

Seferian-Jenkins said he “graduated” last week from his outpatient program, receiving a commemorative coin. For several weeks, he spent 14 hours a week at a facility near the Jets’ training complex. Now his plan to attend weekly sessions, knowing he also can speak with the Jets’ in-house counselor.

“I give a lot of credit to the Jets’ organization because they supported me when I told them I need to get help,” he said. “They were the first people to say, ‘We’re so proud of you.’ It wasn’t embarrassing. They were like, ‘This is great. This will be a great turning point in your life.'”

New Jets CB Morris Claiborne Says He Feels He Can Be the Best CB in the NFL

To date, Morris Claiborne might not have come close to touching the potential he had as the sixth-overall draft pick in 2012 by the Cowboys.

You, however, would have a difficult time finding an NFL player with more resolve than the talented but star-crossed cornerback, Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post reports.

Claiborne — whom the Jets signed to a one-year, $5 million contract in March — is nothing if not resilient.

He has not blinked in the face of adversity, which is one of the virtues of playing his position, one that requires a short memory and supreme confidence — as preposterous as that confidence may seem to outsiders.

That is why — despite the fact a laundry list of injuries has limited him to just 47 games in his five NFL seasons — you should not be surprised when you listen to Claiborne speak of how good he can be as a Jet as he embarks on a new chapter to his life.

“I feel like I can be the No. 1 corner in this league if I’m healthy … when I’m healthy,’’ Claiborne told The Post after his first OTA practice as a Jet earlier this week. “When I’m out there playing and I’m healthy and I’m on my game, I don’t feel like there is anybody better than me.’’

Jets Come to Terms with Fourth-Round Pick WR Chad Hansen

The Jets on Tuesday announced the signing of former California wide receiver Chad Hansen, whom they drafted in Round 4 (141st overall). The Jets drafted nine players this year.

And so far, they have signed Hansen and their three sixth-round picks: cornerback Jeremy Clark, running back Elijah McGuire, and cornerback Derrick Jones.

These five draft picks remain unsigned: safety Jamal Adams (Round 1), safety Marcus Maye (Round 2), wide receiver ArDarius Stewart (Round 3), tight end Jordan Leggett (Round 5), and outside linebacker Dylan Donahue (Round 5).

Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson Says He’s Ready to Prove His Big Deal Didn’t Make Him Lazy

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson enters 2017 intent on proving doubters wrong, Darryl Slater of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

He didn’t play well in 2016, after getting a lucrative contract last summer. But he was also rehabbing from a broken leg he sustained in the 2015 season finale.

Then again, Wilkerson didn’t do himself any favors by having tardiness issues that resulted in him being suspended for the first quarter of the Jets’ loss in Miami.

Wilkerson said Friday, during an interview with ESPN New York radio, that he wants to prove he isn’t just in it for the money — after his sack total dropped from 12 in 2015 to 4.5 last year.

“At the end of the day, I did have an injury,” he said of his 2016 struggles. “I didn’t use it as an excuse. Each and every week, I went out there and I did the best I could. I do have a chip on my shoulder. People feel that I was just money hungry – and I just took the money, and now I’m lazy. But I can prove to people that it’s more than about money with me.”

Wilkerson also responded to an offseason report that he appeared out of shape, while saying he is motivated in 2017 to play like he did before 2016.

“For me personally, it’s a chip on my shoulder,” he said. “Some stuff, like the whole weight situation, you’ve got some people who just blurt out stuff and put out stories for no reason. And there’s no truth behind it. I guess that’s the job. You have to write a story, if you want to say that.

“I’m a competitor. I know I didn’t play well last year. I know what I need to do, and know how to play. That’s why I have a chip on my shoulder, just to prove that I’m the same Mo that I’ve been playing [like] before last year.”

Jets WR Robby Anderson Arrested for Fighting With Officer Over the Weekend

The Jets are back in the news today for the wrong reasons, as one of their young players, wide out Robby Anderson, was arrested over the weekend for scuffling with a police officer.

TMZ has the details.

NY Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson — a rising star who had a solid 2017 season — was arrested at a music festival in Florida this weekend after allegedly fighting a police officer, TMZ Sports has learned.

The 23-year-old was at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami on Sunday –where stars like Migos, Gucci Mane, 21 Savage and Future performed — when he got into it with security.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ Sports, Anderson was fighting with security after being told to leave.

He refused and that’s when a Miami PD lieutenant got involved and told him to sit on the ground.

That’s when things went from bad to worse …

“[Anderson] tensed his body and pushed [the officer]. [Anderson] was redirected to the ground and continued to fight with police and security.”

Anderson was arrested for felony resisting arrest with violence and misdemeanor obstruction of a police officer.

In the police report, Anderson is listed at 6’3″, 180 pounds.

The Jets were hoping for big things from Anderson in 2017 — he had 42 catches for almost 600 yards as an undrafted rookie in 2016.

Jets Release FS Marcus Gilchrist and CB Nick Marshall, Re-Sign ILB Bruce Carter

After drafting safeties in the first two rounds (Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye), the Jets on Thursday released injured free safety Marcus Gilchrist, Connor Hughes of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

The move creates $4.625 million in salary cap space, with $2.75 million in dead money attached. Gilchrist’s contract was set to expire after the 2018 season.

He sustained a torn patellar tendon in his knee Dec. 11 at the 49ers. It is unclear when he will be able to practice or play again.

Gilchrist had been with the Jets since 2015, but hadn’t been much of a difference maker lately. He had five interceptions and one forced fumble during his time with the organization.

In addition to releasing Gilchrist, the Jets on Thursday re-signed backup inside linebacker Bruce Carter and waived cornerback Nick Marshall and fullback Chris Swain — both reserve players. Marshall had been suspended four games in 2017 (performance-enhancing drugs).