Mornhinweg Admits Jets’ QB Competition Isn’t Quite ’50-50′

Miami Dolphins v New York Jets

One day after Rex Ryan and Michael Vick contradicted each other over whether the Jets have a real quarterback competition or not, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg weighed in and landed somewhere in the middle, Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reports.

“There is competition,” Mornhinweg said Thursday on a conference call with season ticket holders. “Now it may not quite be like the competition we had last year where (it was) 50-50.”

A year ago, Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez were part of an open quarterback competition through training camp and the preseason until Sanchez suffered a season-ending shoulder injury that gave Smith the job.

This isn’t the first time Mornhinweg has indicated Smith might have the edge in the competition: the coordinator had previously said he doesn’t want anything to impede Smith’s development.

Though the Jets have said Vick would compete for the starting quarterback job since the team signed him, Vick has now twice said that it is not an open competition. Vick believes Smith will start the season as the team’s quarterback.

“We’re trying to continue the progression with Geno and then have Mike ready to go,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s just that simple and Mike knows exactly what the expectations of roles that he has and Geno knows the exact expectations as does Matt (Simms) and Tajh (Boyd).”


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Jets Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Leave a Reply